Hi.

Does anyone know of any rules of thumb about the optimum number of online/hybrid/blended courses and/or faculty for one staff Instructional Designer to support?

Thanks,

Ed Bever, SUNY Old Westbury

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be interested in thoughts / experiences of others in the community.

From my own experience and ID can most effectively and efficiently support between 12 -20 new online instructors - assuming the development cycle is one semester in advance of the delivery cycle and there is a faculty and course design process in place. The number will vary depending on level of experience of the faculty being supported, the level of experience of the ID. If the ID has other duties and is also responsible for supporting experienced online instructors will also have an impact on the number. The authority and role of the ID in terms of influencing quality will also come into play.

alex

Thanks!  This is helpful.  

However, if anyone has in addition any figures about the overall ratio of faculty to ID(s) I'd appreciate hearing that as well.  For example, if a college has, say, 100 faculty members with about a) 35 experienced and active with online and hybrid instruction, b) 35 experienced with and actively using LMS' to supplement traditional courses only, and c) 30 totally inexperienced with and uninterested in anything online, with a handful of faculty interested in moving from b to a or c to b each semester, how many instructional designers should the college have on staff?

Thanks,

Ed

I feel think one of our SUNY colleagues told me that they were responsible for 50 course reviews a semester and they were very overwhelmed. Not sure if this helps.

Hi.  Yes, it does help.  Thanks!

RSS

Subscribe

Subscribe in a reader.

Follow us on twitter.

Notes

new member guide

Created by Alexandra M. Pickett Aug 19, 2010 at 11:52am. Last updated by Alexandra M. Pickett May 20.

Photos

• Add Photos

Use hashtags #SUNYOnlineTeaching, #lrnchat , or #onlinelearning in your tweets to appear here!

Tweets about "#SUNYOnlineTeaching OR #lrnchat OR #onlinelearning"

© 2020   Created by Alexandra M. Pickett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service