Hi! Welcome to the SUNY Online Teaching Community. Please introduce yourself, let us know a little bit about you, and where you are from. We would love to know about your online teaching and learning experiences and what your specific areas of interest here might be.

Views: 2416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Measured in bitcoin?

Hello COTE! I'm Alex Freeman, Senior Director of Membership and Special Projects at the NMC. I wear many hats there, but my favorite things are working with amazing members to develop our Horizon Report Project and then traveling across the country and world to share the findings. I'm interested in active learning spaces, online learning, and the weird wild world of VR. Prior to working at the NMC, I worked in art galleries and museums, and fancy myself a concert photographer/writer and Sunday painter. When I'm not staring at a computer or phone screen, I enjoy riding my bike across the great city of Austin, Texas or eating from one of our many tasty food trucks. I'm a sucker for sunsets too -- I chase them on a near daily basis.

I currently teach a hybrid course in child development for CCC and am a fourth grade classroom teacher. My other evening courses are not online, however they are all in the education field. Thank you for the welcome!

Hello! I'm writing from Miami University's Regionals E-Campus in Southwest Ohio. The E-Campus was just recently established. My background is in Student Activities, Orientation and Admission. I've developed an online course and have been teaching it online for around 3 years. My role with our E-Campus is online student engagement. I'm interested to learn how others have engaged online students and provided them with excellent services.

Hi Carrie! I recently completed my degree, through the Center for Distance Learning at SUNY Empire State College. The mentor assigned to me was instrumental in reaching my goals. She believed in a blend of communication methods. We scheduled phone conversations, and they lasted 1-2 hours. In lieu of face-to-face meetings, we accomplished more that way.

I am an advocate for person-centered culture change and age-friendly communities that enable all age groups to flourish. I am glad to see ILR (Independent Learning in Retirement ) courses at Miami University. More colleges should offer them. (My capstone study was Communications for Elder Autonomy.) We're almost neighbors. I live in SE Indiana.

Hi everyone

I'm Marjo Joshi and I work at Turku University of Applied Sciences in Finland. I'm attending an OLC conference in Florida and I attended a workshop about OSCQR By Alexandra Pickett, and heard about your wonderful community. I train and support our staff in online teaching, and I also train language teachers nationwide in online teaching skills.

In addition I project manage our new online programme that will be launched in the autumn. If that doesn't keep me busy enough, I also teach our underegrad students Intercultural Communication and Business Communication.

My interest in online learning is on teacher training, and supporting course design and delivery.  I'm also doing some research on live online meetings, and how they support engagement and interaction on online courses. So far the results are very positive - students love having regular online meetings!

Something else about me: I have two kids, two cats, and a husband from Nepal - hence my surname Joshi.

I also love New York, it's my absolute favourite city in the world!

I'm very excited to be collaborating with you all, and I look forward to sharing ideas with you here, thanks for having me!

Hello everyone,

greetings and Happy 2017 from Down Under!

I am a clinical academic and am the program director of the postgraduate medical sonography programs at the University of South Australia. My background is medicine, ob gyn and ultrasound. our programs are completely external and online and I am interested in enhancing teaching practices, just as everyone else in this group.

Please visit my uni home page here to know more about me:

http://people.unisa.edu.au/Nayana.Parange

I am very excited to be here and look forward to discussions and possible collaborations.

best wishes,

Nayana

Hello all and special thanks to Alex for the warm welcome. I've been very interested in learning more about OSCQR since I learned of its creation and as I was doing my "homework" on it, I stumbled on this community. 

I've been in a variety of roles over the last 15 years in edtech from teacher to technologist and beyond. I've developed online programs for universities across the US and all over the world and the adventure continues! 

I am currently the CAO at a company called iDesign. We provide learning design support to Universities and it has been a pleasure to serve the many programs and faculty who we have worked with over the last several years. I also teach in the Learning Technologies Master's program at the University of North Texas where I earned my PhD. 

I hope to visit here from time to time to gain insights from the folks who have been sharing here for years. I feel like I've stumbled upon a treasure trove of information and resources that I'll enjoy reading so thanks to all who have shared here.

Hi Everyone!  I'm new to SUNY and COTE, but not new to higher education.  This is my 20th year serving students!  WOW!!  My background has largely been in admissions (12 years), but I have spent the last 8 years teaching adjunct (intro psych courses) for a small PA school.  I served weekend students and also taught fully online.  I joined SUNY Broome this past fall as an adjunct instructor (College Success) and online learning concierge.  It's been exciting to see all the AWESOME opportunities SUNY is providing for students across the state and in a variety of curricula.  I'm honored to be part of it.  I'm looking forward to sharing what (I think) I know and hearing more about challenges and success from my colleagues.

Greetings,

I'm Keri Thomas-Whiteside and I work as a librarian at Erie Community College. I focus on teaching students information literacy and evaluation skills. I am new to SUNY having started in just October, so I am currently working to bring the materials and skills I developed at my other institutions over to ECC.

Hello everyone! My name is Kristina Ayala. I work and live in McAllen, TX. I have worked within the higher education field for over 10 years, specifically with the distance education department. My background includes online testing, BlackBoard technical support, course developer and instructional designer. I would love to collaborate with other instructional designers and share/gain knowledge with others.

Hi all,

I am SUNY’s dedicated Customer Success Advocate, or CSA. My role is to support higher education institutions in the use and adoption of teaching and learning tools that are already available on campus. With that said, I’m joining the COTE Community as Krista – a former educator, current trainer, and lifelong learner.

I’ve spent much of my life in Higher Education. I earned a BA in Business and Women’s Studies from Skidmore College in upstate New York and my MA in Organizational Communication with emphases in Institutional Theory and Qualitative/Quantitative Research Methods from the University of California, Santa Barbara. My research centered on the ways in which stakeholders within an institutional space use rhetoric to reframe issues and realign the normative beliefs and practices that define an institution. I also dabbled in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and the tensions between for-profit and non-for-profit spheres.

I then served on the faculty at Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC), which is part of the Virginia Community College System, and taught traditional and hybrid sections of Speech Communication and tutored students in College Algebra and Statistics. I enjoy teaching topics that, at first, frighten and intimidate people because it’s an opportunity for me to activate and teach to a growth mindset. Instead of, “I’m a bad public speaker” or “I’m not a math person,” I teach students to embrace the struggle and the journey of learning and refining new skills. Quick anecdote – one of my Nursing students called her husband in tears before the first day of our Speech Communication class. Later on in the course, she told me that her supervisor at the Healthcare Center impromptu asked her to provide feedback to her patient’s son – a task that would have paralyzed her at the start of the term. She told me that she used the impromptu speech tips she learned in class and that her supervisor complemented her on her speaking. This is why we teach.

Most recently, I worked in K-12 supplemental educational support as the Director of Sylvan Learning in Portsmouth, NH. In this role, I managed every aspect of the customer experience - from inquiry, to enrollment, to instruction, to retention. My true passion is educational access for all, and we can achieve this with thoughtful and innovative teaching and learning technology and implementation. One of my 2017 goals is to begin teaching again – just one course for now!

On a personal note, I live in the lakes region of New Hampshire with my boyfriend, basset hound Dorothy, and cat Carmen. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

Krista

RSS

Subscribe

Subscribe in a reader.

Follow us on twitter.

Notes

new member guide

Created by Alexandra M. Pickett Aug 19, 2010 at 11:52am. Last updated by Alexandra M. Pickett May 20.

Photos

• Add Photos

Top Content 

Use hashtags #SUNYOnlineTeaching, #lrnchat , or #onlinelearning in your tweets to appear here!

Tweets about "#SUNYOnlineTeaching OR #lrnchat OR #onlinelearning"

© 2020   Created by Alexandra M. Pickett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service