<< Remote Teaching Checklist
Add a "culminating activity" to your course
- Create a Farewell Discussion
- A simple discussion where you and your students can reminisce about the course, the experience, and say good-bye.
- A simple discussion where students can give advice to future students on how to be successful in the course, that you can then share with future students.
Get Feedback from Students
- Create a Feedback Journal - Consider adding a "descriptive feedback/metacognitive journaling" section to the course to elicit feedback from students useful for improving pedagogical style, (based on Rodgers, 2006).
Questions might include:
- What did you learn? Really think about what it means to have learned something.
- Can you say more? Can you give me an example?
- How do you know you learned it?
- What helped your learning? What would have helped your learning more?
- What hindered your learning?
- How did you feel?
Rodgers, C. R. (2006). Attending to student voice: the impact of descriptive feedback on learning and teaching. Curriculum Inquiry, 36(2), 209-237.
- Collect Feedback via a simple poll from your students to assist you to revise and improve your course design and delivery. This is not the course or faculty evaluation that your campus or department my collect, but rather student feedback just for you to help you as you consider making any changes/improvements.
Questions might include the following:
- What did you like best about this course?
- What specific things do you think could be improved in the structure or design of the course and learning activities?
- How would you improve the quality and participation in course discussions/interactions?
- What changes would you suggest be made to the pacing or sequence of the content and activities for this course? (e.g., Were the due dates manageable for you? Were the course materials sequenced well?)
- What changes would you suggest be made to the quantity of work required for this course?
- How could the course be improved in terms of my(the instructor’s)interaction, participation, and management of the course?
- What other suggestions, comments, or recommendations would you have for the instructor?
Advice for Future Students in this Course